PSG Friday: Teaching Notation
Notes from virtual conversation February 18, 2022; How can we effectively teach non-notated music to students with differing aural skills? What are the advantages and disadvantages of teaching notated music to non-majors, and what are the most effective, supportive techniques for using notation in non-major classes? Discussion questions include:
- How do we teach notated music to students without notational literacy
- How do you talk with notationally literate students about the problems with notation?
- How do you get music theoretically well-versed students to talk about music that requires a terminology from outside the Western classical tradition?
Notes & Zoom chat includes resource suggestions and teaching ideas
- access Pedagogy Friday notes
- keywords: non-major, visualization, transcription, dance, music theory, manuscript, multimedia